Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop on to give you all a quick update, and to let you all know that I'm still alive! Sad to say, I don't have any pictures for you guys this time, but there will be more soon. I promise!

The Dutch lessons are finally starting to get more difficult. Because I already had previous Dutch knowledge, the first few weeks have been a bit of a review (while learning new things at the same time), but now it's come to the point where EVERYTHING is new. It's time to start really studying, so I can start speaking! The good news is, I'm really noticing an improvement in how much I can actually read. Understanding spoken is still a bit difficult because people speak so fast, but I'm starting to understand Kasper better when he talks in Dutch. If only everyone talked like a child! ;)

This past weekend, I made my first trip out to Utrecht. That is by far the most gorgeous city I've ever seen in real life, thus making it my new favorite city! I wish I had photos to show you guys, but next time I go, I'll be sure to take lots.

It's a university city, so there are a lot of young people that live there, making it a pretty happening place on a Saturday night! It's very picturesque at night, as well, with all the canal side patios, and lights reflecting off the water. It's really neat, because there is an upper portion of the canal where the road is, and then there is a lower portion which many of the restaurants and pubs use as their patios. It's really gorgeous to sit out on the water like that.

I never cease to be amazed at how beautiful the pubs are in the Netherlands. Every time I step foot into a new pub, I always say I've never seen a pub as beautiful, until I step foot into the next one! The only complaint I would make about the pubs here is the limited selection of beer! I would figure with so many different types of beer across Europe, there would be more selection in bars. But sometimes they have only one kind, which is a little absurd to me. But at least I'm trying new things, right? ;)

So, anyway, next week is Autumn break here in Holland, and my host family is on vacation as of this Friday. Because my Dutch classes are also taking a break for the holiday, I have the week to myself! SO, this weekend I'm making my first out of country trip, to Belgium! My host family is heading to England next week, with a stopover in Belgium to visit Jurgen's family, and they've invited me to come along. I've barely started planning, aside from knowing that I want to see Ghent (Jurgen's family lives just outside Ghent), and Brugge. These next couple days will be spent researching, so if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know!

Well, I think that gives you a little idea of what I've been up to lately. I have to try to update more often, but sometimes its hard to take a moment to just sit down and write.

I hope everyone in Canada is doing well, and having fun. I miss you all!



No comments: